Applying to the Master’s Program:
For Fall admittance, the application deadline:
- for international students is January 1
- for domestic students is February 1
- We do not accept applicants for spring admission.
To be admitted to the M.A. program on regular status, an applicant must have:
- A baccalaureate degree, with a minimum overall GPA of 3.2.
Requirements for application to the M.A. Degree Program:
- MSU Graduate application, found at https://grad.msu.edu/apply/, here you will include the following:
- Personal Essay—Tell us about yourself. What drives you? Why this degree? Why now?
- Academic Essay—What is your background? What are your academic interests? What is the relationship between academic and professional for you? Why will this degree, and ours in particular, help you to achieve your professional goals?
- A writing sample that must reflect aptitude for critical and scholarly writing (approximately 10-20 pages).
- A portfolio that demonstrates professional experience related to Arts, Cultural Management and/or Museum Studies—A compilation of evidence (documents, videos, website, photos, etc) showing what you’ve done that helps us see if you are a good fit for the program. What to include can mean different things to different people. Anything that you have done in the past that supports your interest could be compiled; it can include, for example, budgets you created, flyers you made, tours you designed, catalogs you have created—anything that reveals some connection between your experience and this program of study. You can turn it in as a bundle of pdfs or make a website for it, we just ask that you explain your role in what you submit and provide a table of contents.
- Letters of Recommendation (3)—Must be on letterhead and signed, then made into a pdf. These should be submitted to the portal by the writers themselves.
- Transcripts—Please have official versions sent to MSU Admissions office; you may upload unofficial versions to the application portal but only in addition to the official one(s).
- CV or resume.
- In addition, international students must also submit:
- TOEFL scores (minimum score of 100)
- Affidavit of financial support (see here)
Applying to the Graduate Certificates:
The certificate can be earned in one of two ways:
- If you are already a graduate student at MSU and would like to do the Museum Studies certificate
- If you are not a current student at MSU but have completed an undergraduate degree (elsewhere or at MSU) and would like to obtain the Museum Studies certificate
Please submit the following to apply:
- Go here to fill out the MSU graduate application, and also upload:
- A personal/academic statement
- Two letters of recommendation (must be on letterhead and signed, then made into a pdf & submitted to the portal by the writers themselves)
- Resume or CV
- Official transcripts
- In addition, please fill out this Google form, here.
For information, please feel free to contact the Director of ACM&MS, email@example.com.
[As of summer 2020, the ACM certificate is not yet available.]